Wednesday, July 15, 2015

WHO'S GOT TWO THUMBS AND HAS A JOB?

THIS GIRL RIGHT HERE



That's right.  Yours truly managed to land a job.  I work now at RT America.  For those of you who are staring at the screen thinking "What the hell is that?  Never heard of it.....", RT America (also known as Russia Today) is a news station that broadcasts three newscasts a day.  It's got four offices in the US and is headquartered in Moscow.  Oh, and we broadcast in English, Spanish, and Arabic.

Wait......come again??

Yeah.  No Russian broadcasts.  Sorry.


Thanks to playing catchup with my posts here, I didn't post this right away.  That being said, I've been working at RT for about 3 weeks now.  I have my own desk, my own phone, and three screens - a dual monitor system and a TV that shows me what we're currently recording.


What's my job here, you ask?  Well.  I run the video.

Like in the control room?


No, not in the control room.  And before you ask, not online either.  I don't manage the video content.

How does that equal a job with videos then?!!

Let me clarify.  I run video here, which is not as fancy as it may seem.  We already established that I have a desk, which means I don't work in the control room.  My job is essentially request-retrieve.  Someone emails me or posts on a specific website to tell me they want a video.  Maybe there was an attack overseas, maybe there is new footage of Greece's debt crisis, or maybe someone wants to see yet another Republican announce his candidacy.


Either way, someone sends me a request.  On my snazzy TV screen monitor thingy, I can see 8 recorders.  I use them to locate the videos in question, save them to the editing software we use, and let the person know I found their video.  Many times the videos I locate are the ones in the newscast, which you then see from your couch or your phone or wherever you get your news from.


The same goes for the news.  Are we running a package?  Better save it.  How about a guest, do we have one of those?  Better save it, and save the video of them by themselves for good measure.


So yeah.  That's my life now.  I am a real person at last.


No comments:

Post a Comment