Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Graduation

Approximately

Fast forward from that last post to something a little less gross and grim.  It's now May.  The sun is shining, the trees are green, the heat is merciless for no reason.  And I'm wearing a cool looking dress with a heap of bright blue fabric draped over me.


That's right. I graduated from college.  Cue the applause.

Thank you, thank you.  It only took four years

Now the real adventure has begun.  It's been a month since I crossed that stage in my overly blue cap and gown.  There've been several emails sent, many resumes sent out, and lots of phone calls home asking how the hell I craft a good cover letter.  My future rode on my ability to get a job.


In America, that's no easy feat.  College graduates fight for good jobs in a market that's still holding onto its older members who won't - or can't - retire.  Out of all of my friends, half are pursuing graduate degrees, and only four of the rest have landed jobs.  Most people hold out hope that the search will last less than 6 months - the time when the government comes knocking to start collecting the money most Americans have to borrow to afford the outrageous costs of a college education.  Because seriously, why does a little slip of paper that says I busted my brains for four years cost over $200,000?  Makes no sense, but now I'm paying for part of that.  Good thing I had scholarships.  I don't have that kinda money to blow.  Do you?


But I got lucky.  They say it's who you know now, is what gets you ahead.  And indeed, a professor of mine gave me a name, who became a voice on the end of a phone, who called her former boss, who emailed me, who had me come in, who took me to meet his boss, who called me back in, and who eventually offered me my first job.


So now begins the adventures in news, as a real adult job-holding person.


Let's go!


No comments:

Post a Comment