Monday, July 13, 2015

Job Hunt Mondays

Job Hunt Mondays was a brainchild of mine, as a way to make sure I applied to jobs and actually put in the effort.  For as my dad likes to remind me, I sometimes shy away from things that have an uncertain or possibly an unfavorable outcome (such as the possibility of NOT landing a job).


It is so daunting to have something like this looming over your head.  In six months the government will start knocking on my door, asking for their money back.  I can see it now......"Hello there, former student!  I hope you made good use of those college days.  Remember those?  Ha ha haaaaaaaa give us all your money we need it back."

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you

And all us former college students have the same reaction.

Can't deal.  Still broke

Yeah.  SO HELPFUL GUYS.


Anyway.  To make sure I actually went through with things, I decided to do Job Hunt Mondays.  What that meant was on Monday mornings I'd sleep in, make myself a nice breakfast, hug the cat, and sit down with my laptop.  The goal was to send out 5 job applications every Monday.  If I hit that mark and then failed to get even a single application out for the rest of the week, I'd still have applied to 5 jobs that week.  Which was pretty decent.


The first Job Hunt Monday, I sat on my floor with my brand new Dunkin Donuts t-shirt.

Love love love this shirt

I turned my room into a mini indoor picnic area.  My laptop was placed on the humidifier box, the charger cord snaking across the room back under my bed.  I took my purple monster/fuzzy backrest thing off my bed and propped it against my dresser.  I put a bowl of water out to tempt the cat to stay and filled my own water bottle so there would be no excuse to get up.


No excuse.


None.

Nope. Can't deal with that, must keep typing

And so I got to work.


I got into a rhythm, pumping out cover letters and tailoring resumes to my applications one after another after another.


That first day, I pumped out 12 applications.  Twelve.  Granted, four of them were to the same company, but still.  Twelve job applications in one day.






**








**







**








FYI -- Out of those 12 applications, 3 got back to me; one of those was just a courtesy email saying "Sorry, but no thanks".

No comments:

Post a Comment