Monday, August 3, 2015

Life Moves On

This is one of those moments where life kinda crashes over my head.  Not in the sense that my day has gone to shit and I feel the need to hide under vast quantities of blankets and eat ice cream straight from the tub.  Not today at least.


Do you ever wonder how you got to this moment, this place in your life?  Ever look back and think about how life was, how it is now, and reflect on how things have changed?


This past week, I moved to a new apartment.  True, I'm not fully moved outta the old one, but I now have a way to live at the new place.  Blank walls in my own room - my own clean slate.  It hits home that I'm now in the working world and I have to be an adult.  There are no more months-long vacations, no homework due every day, no textbooks to haggle over.  I wear nice clothes now, pick my earrings as carefully as my shoes, and have a set routine for the week.


One of my best friends just said yet another round of goodbyes as he headed off into the unknown for the job of a lifetime.  Another is tying up loose ends in preparation for yet another trip overseas - she'll be gone for a year.  And a third is gearing up for an international internship that'll take her across the pond.  Three best friends who I now rarely get to see, heading off into the blue for mad adventures.  I miss them so much it hurts.


There are times when I'm glad I'm growing up and beginning to carve out my own little niche in the world.  And then there are times when I wish I could go back to when we all were a little less stressed, a little happier, and a little more carefree.  Sometime before we had to worry about bills and loans and when we'll find the time to pick up the groceries.


Alas.  Life moves on.

No comments:

Post a Comment