Thursday, August 13, 2015

It's Decorating Time!

That's right!  I, Caitie, have moved to a new apartment!  Honestly, the old one pretty much turned into a trainwreck and I couldn't get outta there fast enough.  That being said, yay new place!  This means..................IT'S TIME TO GO SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Surprisingly enough, I like to decorate.  I have a complete blank slate of a room and it is completely mine do to with as I please.  So the first question is this.


What color?


This is important.  Like any new apartment, the walls are somewhere between white and light beige with a white trim.  The carpet is beige.  The ceiling is white and kinda popcorn-y.  Thus, there is a great need to deck the room out in colors.


But which to choose?  My favorite color is purple, but most of the purple bed sets/lamps/etc are not that lovely deep purple but a shade of wimpy lavender.  Lavender is a lovely scent, not so much as a shade.  And that deep, vibrant purple?  What little is that color is more than ridiculously expensive.

Why must you hurt me so

Popular colors shoved on women and girls are soft, light, airy.  Boring.  Even worse, it seems to be a universal expectation that women have a deep and abiding love of the color pink.

Ick. Get it away from me!

I hate pink.  There was a brief moment when I was little when I thought it was ok, but I'm pretty sure that moment shriveled up within the hour.  Ever since, I have a special hatred in my heart for that particular color.  Which makes life hard, as WHY DOES EVERYTHING NEED TO BE PINK??????


So no pink.  Baby blue is out because just no.  Spring green is nice, but I'd rather not have it all over my room.  Darker, deeper colors speak to me.  Forest greens, deep purples, scarlet reds, etc.  Colors that are not pastel speak to me, such as teals.


So what did I choose?  This beauty right here.

Classy as hell

Navy and white paisley reverses to white with a navy border.  It doesn't completely clash with my zebra print pillow, nor with my giant green pillows or purple backrest thing.  And even better, I essentially have the "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" metal frame.


Close enough, but you get the picture

Now my room is sneakily classy.  All I need are some nice baskets to throw my ski hats and various yarn things in and I'll be all set.


Shipped with the classy bedding was a pair of navy curtains.  I hate blinds, and they never block out enough light in my opinion, so I've decided to ignore them and mount some curtains instead.  I just need a metal curtain rod and to find some golden hooks (to match the


To continue the classy real-person room, I add a print of a painting I literally got for $3.

Van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night

The thing is like 4 feet high and it cost $3.  Combined with a Monet print, plus shipping, I got the lot for $15.  I'm quite proud of this.  Classy as hell room, didn't break the bank.


Add the wooden bureau I've had forever, a print of Sacre Coeur I got abroad, my matryoshka, lean my guitar against the wall, and voila!  My awesome, real world, working adult bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment