Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Yarn, Yarn Everywhere

It's no secret.  I am a crocheter.  Many thanks to my mother and my best friends Noelle and Bre for getting me into it.


For those who live under a crafting rock, crochet is a way to make things out of yarn that DOESN'T involve knitting needles.  No needles at all.  People who know me will understand - I hate hate HATE needles (mostly medical, but really just any needles).

See?  A hook, not a pair of needles

Blankets, hats, stuffed animals.  You get the picture.  I craft.


This means I get to spend copious amounts of time at the craft store drooling over pretty yarn while my wallet hurts.



It costs so much, but it's a fabulous way to de-stress.  And frankly, after the stress of college and trying to land a job and being an adult, I need it.  Life reduces to one stitch at a time and I can keep my emotions in check until life evens back out.


The idea came to me last fall.  Classes were hard, my living situation was tanking, and my emotional stability was fraying.  So I picked a pattern and bought four balls of yarn when I went home for the weekend.  I figured it would be a good way to distract myself.  Every time I felt upset or homesick or worried, I would sit down and pull out my yarn and continue working.  Within a month, I had a plushie Pokemon.  And I realized that I felt better.  I channeled all the crap from my life into making something cute, something I could hold and hug and throw at my roommate when she edges me off the road in Mario Kart.


Thus, my crafting was born.  I have crocheted two pokemon - one Torchic and one Cyndaquil....




















....as well as a purple elephant, an owl, an ember, and a blanket.  And, as soon as I get more yarn, I will have another blanket.  So much crafting....


No comments:

Post a Comment