Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Being Home

Well, I haven't posted in a while.  And truth be told, I didn't think I would ever post again.  I repurposed this blog to chronicle my study abroad adventures in Russia.


But now I'm home.


I've been here for two months.


........can I go back??


I forgot what being home was like.  Sure, I missed my family, my boyfriend, and my friends (yes I have those).  Actually, I missed them a whole hell of a lot.  It's hard to be abroad and away from everyone for months on end.


And on top of it all, I miss my host family.


Anyway, I'm home now.  Home is America.  Home is, while I'm still a poor broke college student, at my parents' house.  And with my little brother.  For all that apartments are small in Russia, I had a bit more space there.  At least, it feels like I did.  Could just be that the freedom granted by a nearby metro station made it feel like there was a lot more space.


Speaking of space, America has a ton of it.  And we pile it full of a lot of crap.  On the ride back from the airport, I was quite a bit dazed and confused - time differences and all - and I couldn't stop staring at the side of the road.  It was an old highway strip, and there was so much stuff crammed into every slot there was.  Restaurants, gas stations, bars, more restaurants, pool stores, liquor stores, music stores, fast food restaurants.  There was just so much.

It was unnerving...


Now after a few months in the States, life has returned to what I once would call normal.  I wake up every morning.  I go to work at my summer job.  I come home.  And I crash on the couch.


Two weeks to go though.  Then I'm off for the last year of college life.


Then I have to enter the real world.........wait.....do I have to??


Must I??


Not sure if I'm ready for that.......

No comments:

Post a Comment